Check out the top ingredients to add to your meals that naturally support your immune system. Backed by our qualified supplement advisors!
Autumn and winter are prime time for coughs, colds and general illnesses so we’ve been working with our qualified supplement advisors to bring you the best natural sources of immune support.
Why is immune health important?
Our immune system is crucial to fighting off infection and as colder weather rolls in it’s never more prominent than right now. It’s an impressive network defending against germs like bacteria, viruses, fungi and toxins. Our immune system is made up of different organs, cells and proteins that all work together and they’re helped along by different factors.
What impacts our immune health?
- Sleep is important for a healthy immune system and not getting enough can impact your health.
- Getting enough vitamins and minerals like zinc, selenium, vitamin E, D, C & A all keep your immune system in tip top shape. Clinical deficiencies of these nutrients weaken immunity and can increase susceptibility to infections so it’s really important to get enough!
- Smoking is very detrimental to your immune system and damages your lungs.
- Drinking a lot of alcohol can suppress your immune system making you more susceptible to illness or make it a longer, harder illness to fight off.
- Many health conditions, diseases and high stress levels can hugely impact your immunity.
2-3 Protein Meals each day
Eating for a stronger immunity.
Eating more of these foods can naturally help support your immune system:
- Bell Peppers: high in Vitamin A & C.
- Chilli Pepper: high in Vitamin A & C and contains compound capsaicin that’s good for congestion.
- Mushrooms: contain beta glucose that’s good for the gut, the first line of defence for the immune system.
- Oats: contain Beta Glucose (a surprising one for most people!)
- Sage: antimicrobial, antiviral and antibacterial.
- Pumpkin Seeds: high in Zinc.
- Ginger: anti inflammatory.
- Garlic: contains allicin which helps the immune system fight off infection
- Honey: antiviral and antibacterial.
- Elderberry tea: contains anthocyanins, an antioxidant. It’s antibacterial and antiviral.
- Rosehip tea: high Vitamin C that supports immunity
Not sure what to make with this new list of ingredients?
Check out our recent recipes for a little inspiration…
More of our team’s lifestyle tips
A cosy cup of elderberry or rosehip tea is the perfect start to your day for winding down at night.
Make an effort to regularly wind down 30-60 minutes before bed, with no screens. It will hugely improve your sleep and a well-rested body is important for a health immune system!
Quitting smoking or vaping is tough but with the right support you can do it and make a huge improvement to your health!
Want more personalised advice? Our qualified supplement advisors are for your health needs. From nutrition, to natural supplements and lifestyle changes they have a wealth of knowledge – pop in for a chat!